So I have been cleaning our storage room downstairs and with the day home I have a lot of toys. People knowing I have a day home often donate their gently used toys to me. So over time I have aquired quite a variety of things. I have two child size kitchen sets, one in our basement, and one outside, which Jonah loves! Auntie Jan also gave me a lot of Madison's Barbies and a dress up/makeup table. As you can see Jonah saw this while I was cleaning and I had to bring it out for him. He loves putting all of the necklaces on, he looks so cute. I am not going to turn my son into a drag queen but this is what Free Play is all about. I love that when you let children explore and be themselves they will play freely without being stereotyped or made to feel bad about themselves, which will happen all too soon. He has no awareness yet of these sterotypes, Liam who is 4 said to me when I pulled it out "Bethany, Jonah and I are boys, we can not play with this", I responded with "Of course you can, this is a toy, it is for all children to play with imaginatively" He accepted my answer and the two of them have been playing with it for two days now. So in the time being my son is free to play with whatever he chooses and will hopefully grow up with a wide range of childhood experiences and be very very happy! He loves so many different things, it's great! Drums, books, drums, kitchen, drums, balls, drums, jewelery, drums, and did I mention drums?Thursday, August 18, 2005
Free Play...
So I have been cleaning our storage room downstairs and with the day home I have a lot of toys. People knowing I have a day home often donate their gently used toys to me. So over time I have aquired quite a variety of things. I have two child size kitchen sets, one in our basement, and one outside, which Jonah loves! Auntie Jan also gave me a lot of Madison's Barbies and a dress up/makeup table. As you can see Jonah saw this while I was cleaning and I had to bring it out for him. He loves putting all of the necklaces on, he looks so cute. I am not going to turn my son into a drag queen but this is what Free Play is all about. I love that when you let children explore and be themselves they will play freely without being stereotyped or made to feel bad about themselves, which will happen all too soon. He has no awareness yet of these sterotypes, Liam who is 4 said to me when I pulled it out "Bethany, Jonah and I are boys, we can not play with this", I responded with "Of course you can, this is a toy, it is for all children to play with imaginatively" He accepted my answer and the two of them have been playing with it for two days now. So in the time being my son is free to play with whatever he chooses and will hopefully grow up with a wide range of childhood experiences and be very very happy! He loves so many different things, it's great! Drums, books, drums, kitchen, drums, balls, drums, jewelery, drums, and did I mention drums?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
I hope his love of this girly stuff isn't a result of when we played dress up with him after my lingerie shower!
And who would buy a little boy a set of drums? Hehehe Sorry about that, I know payback will come!
xox
The drums are not a bad thing at all. I am just sad that he broke one of the drums off back when he was learning to stand on his own and he used it to brace himself:( He is very musical, I am very proud! And remember we were with you when you bought it and encouraged you!
Love and kisses from
Bethany and Jonah xxoo
Thank the Lord in heaven above that nobody bought us drums...I think everyone knows better. We like quiet toys, there is enough noise from the children already.
Oliver plays with Emma's toys and LOVES to have his toenails painted and barrettes in his hair. He doesn't know any better, he is just having fun and being pretty. My dad and Steve on the other hand have issues. Not that Steve doesn't let Oliver play with "girly" toys, but he is not too fond of the hair things.
I love Jonah in this pic. Completely absorbed in play. What a sweetheart.
Just like his father....haha.
I think we should all pitch in and get Emma and Oliver some drums just for Lori;)
And I agree with Lori this is a great picture capturing him completley absorbed in what he is doing. He is totally a cutie!
Post a Comment