So, since I was a little girl I have always loved babies and children. I wanted to become a Midwife (doctor who delivers babies) or a Teacher. When I grew up (haha, do we ever really grow up?) I went into Early Childhood Education, worked in daycare for a while and then for the last 5 years have of course been running my Day Home. I have had many many children come through my front door. I have made some really close relationships with lots of the families and when we go back to our old neighbourhood where my in-laws live I often stop by and visit a few of the families I had in my home. It's nice to see them and now some of them are in school and getting so big!
Anyway, some of you may not know that Midwifery and childbirth has been an interest of mine since I was young, so I have decide to take some steps towards that. While going to school to become a Midwife would mean moving to B.C or Ontario (No University in Alberta, SK or Manitoba offer it) and 4 YEARS of school, which isn't possible right now in our life, there is the option right now of becoming a certified Birth Doula. I also regret the use of a Doula myself with both of my births even though I successfully had a VBAC with Logan, with Jonah's birth I feel the hospital led me towards an uneccesary C-Section, which the rates in hospitals is WAY too HIGH! I hope as a Doula I can help bring those rates in hospitals down. The research of Doulas in hospitals and rates of c-sections and use of many drugs are unbelievably way lower! So I will be becoming a certified Birth Doula in the coming months, there is lots of reading and courses (1 in August) to take, but I am excited about this new addition to my career I am taking. I of course will still have my Day Home, for now this will be a side job, but who knows where it will take me.
Also, Keith has talked about the option of owning his own truck (means a lot more income but more headaches with owning his own truck, but hey then no one can smoke in his truck on the weekends!!). Well yesterday his dispatcher said one of the big wigs wants to talk to him, as they are not happy with some of their independent truck owners. Who knows what any of this means, but I am excited at the new directions we may be taking.
So if any one even reads my blog anymore, please pray that God opens some new career doors for both of us, and for our family to feel more secure with any decisions.
Also, we are excited as Uncle Rob is flying home tonight, and we get to spend the next week with him.
Till next time...Stay Warm Edmontonians and safe on those roads :)
Anyway, some of you may not know that Midwifery and childbirth has been an interest of mine since I was young, so I have decide to take some steps towards that. While going to school to become a Midwife would mean moving to B.C or Ontario (No University in Alberta, SK or Manitoba offer it) and 4 YEARS of school, which isn't possible right now in our life, there is the option right now of becoming a certified Birth Doula. I also regret the use of a Doula myself with both of my births even though I successfully had a VBAC with Logan, with Jonah's birth I feel the hospital led me towards an uneccesary C-Section, which the rates in hospitals is WAY too HIGH! I hope as a Doula I can help bring those rates in hospitals down. The research of Doulas in hospitals and rates of c-sections and use of many drugs are unbelievably way lower! So I will be becoming a certified Birth Doula in the coming months, there is lots of reading and courses (1 in August) to take, but I am excited about this new addition to my career I am taking. I of course will still have my Day Home, for now this will be a side job, but who knows where it will take me.
Also, Keith has talked about the option of owning his own truck (means a lot more income but more headaches with owning his own truck, but hey then no one can smoke in his truck on the weekends!!). Well yesterday his dispatcher said one of the big wigs wants to talk to him, as they are not happy with some of their independent truck owners. Who knows what any of this means, but I am excited at the new directions we may be taking.
So if any one even reads my blog anymore, please pray that God opens some new career doors for both of us, and for our family to feel more secure with any decisions.
Also, we are excited as Uncle Rob is flying home tonight, and we get to spend the next week with him.
Till next time...Stay Warm Edmontonians and safe on those roads :)
6 comments:
some exciting things going on! We're excited for you guys & pray that things will fall into place & doors will open as you guys make some big decisions! (if you move to BC we can hang out!) :o)
Good for you, Beth! Let me know what you've found out about Doula's. That's something I also considered getting in to instead of insurance, but Matthew thought it was silly and nobody used them... whatever. I'm very interested in taking it with you. We're headed out of town but I'll get a hold of you this weekend because I'd like to hear what you know.
I can't believe you all have snow...CRAZY! On another note, Congrats on this decision. Sounds like you will be busy in the coming months but very happy because you will be doing what you love. Life is so precious and to be able to view it from the very start (with other moms) will be a blessing for you for sure. I hope everything works out for Keith too.
Hey Lindsey, that is so awesome you are interested in it too! And YES people use them, and they are an important part to the birth team for those who do use them. I didn't know about them with my first pregnancy and my second I didn't scrounge up the money to get one(should have). Anyway I'd love to chat with you about it, call me!! There are only 12 spots for the course, so I am booking my spot right away, with my down payment for the course. I'll explain more when we talk...
Congrats on the Doula thing! I considered using one for Kassidy but didn't...and also kind of wish I had. From what I know of them I think it is an amazing career to get into. We need to get back to a more natural way of things, and you becoming a Doula is supporting that. Way to go!
I still read your blog ;)
I think you'd be a great Doula. I have a friend who is a doula and she loves it. Praying that things go well for you guys in the coming months.
Post a Comment